Thread: Is A LED Tail Light With Built In Indicators MOT Legal here In The UK

CBT

Bike
    Ninja 250R (2010)

Default Is A LED Tail Light With Built In Indicators MOT Legal here In The UK

Hi Folks

I'm thinking of changing the rear tail light on my 2010 Ninja 250R for a LED tail light, but have some reservations. I have tried getting the information from some of the sellers on the internet, but never seem to get the answers I need, or just no response. Then it ocurred to me, why not ask those amazing people at Ninja UK, you could never dissapoint me.

What I would like to know is

Would it be MOT legal.

Can I just use it for a tail light only, not connecting the indicators as I prefer to keep the original ones.

If I dont use the indicators on the LED tail light, would this leave some of the LEDs unused in the tail light, making it look odd.

Does anyone know of a reliable source.

Last but not least has anyone got one fitted to their 250R in the Hampshire / Sussex Area for me to have a nose at, cos there not cheap and i'd prefer to see one first before I spend my hard earned cash.

I hope it's not all to much to ask, but I would be a very very happy biker if I could fit it.

Again thanks to everyone who helped me in the past.

Many thanks to you all
    Regards
    Ken

Bike
    Kawasaki ER6F

First off in the UK they are not road legal, and can only be used show/display only, many peeps have fitted them, and many have gone through an MOT with them on, the distance the indicators are meant to be from the tail light is 180mm.which is what makes them illegal

fitting the integrated unit and not using the indicators but still using the bikes original ones is 100% legal
    you could always use the integrated indicators as well as the bikes ones too this also is 100% legal, but it's a look that not many go for, as what would be the point of getting the unit in the first place,

leaving the integrated indicators unused will leave you with unused LED's .... i don't think it will look all that strange after all the indicators are the least used lights on the bike anyway

My wife's business www.lolzbeauty.vpweb.co.uk Mobile beauty therapist, Bringing the salon to your home, Ongar & surrounding Areas

CBT

Bike
    Ninja 250R (2010)

Hi Biker-ER6F

Thanks for the great reply. I can now buy an LED tail light knowing what to expect. I just didnt want to have to modify the wiring because of the warranty.

Many thanks

Ken

i have a intergrated rear light on my ZX6R, and it went through MOT fine, although the MOT guy was quite understanding.
    however just be aware that you may get some hassle from the cops due to the space between the two indicators.

Bike
    ZX9R E1

Hi fella, i'm in sussex and have one on my 9R which you're welcome to have a nosey at, mine is connected up for indicator use too and i've done away with the rear indicators, never had a problem with the police even after being stopped for a random check, no problem going through the MOT last week either!

All the best mate.
    The sun is out, the sky is blue, I'm on my bike, overtaking you.......

Thread Information