Thread: Oil change zx6r g2 - engine/fuel flush

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX6R G2

Default Oil change zx6r g2 - engine/fuel flush

I'm going to be servicing my bike next week and was wondering whether it's worth forking out a tenner for a bottle of engine flush ( I think that's what it's called) you put it in just before an oil change and it's meant to clean all of the ports and insides of engine. The question is... Is it really worth it or is it a waste of money? Any help would be highly appreciated

CBT

Bike
    '99 ZX9R, '94 ZX6E

I did a flush on a '79 V8 engine once, and the amount of crud that came out was simply amazing, as judging by looking under the valve covers before and after the fact. Had bought the vehicle for 200 back then as it had basically been neglected and abandoned, and it served me well for a number of years. Doubt that anyone would allow their bike to get into that kind of condition though, so perhaps not necessary. We have a product over here called "Seafoam" that would be applicable in this instance. it also runs a "tenner" over here. I'd be really surprised if today's bike engines (car engines for that matter also) would need such treatment...fresh synthetic oil, ride a few hours, change it, and that should give a solid baseline. My 2 cents, or pennies.

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX6R G2

the only thing is my ninja has been sat in a garage for two years not moving so i think it could be a good idea as the valves are probably quite mucky lol

Regular Rider

Bike
    ZX6R C6F

Hi Jack, if it's been sitting around for two years then there would have to be a certain amount of condensation etc and general crude sitting in the sump etc. Personally I'd drain the oil and replace it as Tapeworm suggests not necessarily go for ride, but run the engine up to operating temp, then drain and change the filter and put some good stuff in. Other more technical minds may have a different view. Also drain the fuel and replenish with fresh.

Bike
    03 B1 636

Not the same but i bought some wynns flush when i did the car once, ran it at 1400rpm for fifteen minutes just as it said on the tin (sounded a bit weird and loud because my vectra had a straight through mid section and magnex exhaust) and then i emptied it like it said and there was a few lumps came out but i havent seen any for motorcycles.
    From a Peugeot Speedfight 100 four years ago to my Zx6r 636.
    One rule deal with it and get on with it.

Thread Information